My new site is finally up and I will be posting my stocks analysis at http://mystocksinvesting.com


Marubozu

May 31, 2010.

My Stocks Investing Journey

Search This Blog

Sunday, September 6, 2009

SPH's lesson learnt - Exit trade without looking at the chart

Last Friday SPH closed at $3.70 and I started to regret that I exit the trade too early. I bought SPH at about $3.05 and sold all at $3.48. I should have hold the stocks for a longer period.

My mistakes from this trade:
  • I let my emotion to take charge of my decision. I had worries that STI would soon be corrected and turned bearish in Sept. I can't control my fear and decide to off load my positions.
  • I did not look at the chart before making my decision to sell. I would not have sold my SPH shares if I plot the chart earlier. The stock price was moving inside the channel and on the up trend. I should have sold the shares when the price hit the upper channel resistance instead of sold at the dip!
  • SPH is a defensive stock with low beta which response slower to the STI correction. In addition, investors will switch to defensive stocks when there is a market correction.
Fortunately I did not lose money in this trade but this was a really good lesson for me to perfect my entry and exit timing in future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis